Sunday 6 February 2011

RAD

As a programmer I've always preffered to use the good old emacs as an editor, with traditional programming languages such C and Perl. When I lost my job a few months ago, I had a look for jobs and find my way back into the workforce. I was surprised to find that most jobs were for PHP and C#/vb, which I had no experience.

Programming languages by market share.
Looking at the above graph from TIOBE software you'd think that most jobs would be for C and Java, which is what I had expected. I was surprised then to find that there were hardly any (one for C and four-five for Java) and that it was dominated by vacancies for vb and C#.

I recognise the fact that windows was not designed with programmers in mind, and hence has very weak environment for software development. That's one of the reasons why I only used windows when I had too (some assignments needed it). Now looking at the job market it seems I'll have to move to windows in order to get out my current low paying job and to somewhere I can work forwards. This is especially disappointing given the fact that I very much dislike Visual studio (which is what nearly all commercial windows programming is done on).  Alack-a-day!


14 comments:

  1. true skills are not appreciated this times

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never understood programming :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not familiar at all with programming but thanks for the info..Already w8ting for the next post

    http://crossroads-blues.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats too complex for me ou lost me from the start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are looking to work as a programmer good luck.. i have a feeling nobody ever says 'good job' just points out the mistakes or how it crashes or they want some new feature that will _definitely_ create issues somewhere else.. you can have it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish someone would make a decision on which language to use. My current professors just keep saying get comfortable with one language and just use it! But mine is all math based like matlab, and visual basic. I used Java and C++ in high school. crazy stuff man

    ReplyDelete
  7. Microsoft being one giant monopoly, this isn't surprising. That being said, .net is pretty powerful which allows you to write complex things pretty quickly and with less hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm studying computer science and we're learning C and C++ during this course of studies.
    I like them - very complex but understandable.
    Before i started studying i was busy learning VB.Net and C#.
    I think the framework Microsoft has created is great - but it really does make programming too easy ;).
    But on the otherside you can code very powerful tools with less effort.

    Depends on what you need and can do.
    Programs which do not need the .NET framework are mostly platform independent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. im studying finance but im getting a lot more interested in working with computers. Perhaps i should change my major

    ReplyDelete